a peek at the process
Coastal Karma Jewels maker/artist, Yumi Nagumo, creates each piece by hand
armed with a jeweller's saw, torch, hand files, hammers, & small hand-held tools.
Each piece is thoughtfully planned & lovingly created.
A slow labour of love.
The Process in a Nutshell
Dream/visualize a design
2. saw out each piece, one at a time from metal sheet, using a jeweller’s saw
3. refine each piece by hand using various needle files & sandpaper
4. create a home for the piece(s), torch fired using silver &/or gold solder
5. clean, oxidize, & clean again
6. multiple rounds of polishing to achieve desired texture & shine + final scrub/rinse
7. stone setting
***pieces take anywhere from 2 hours to several days (or more) to complete
The organic result of handmade pieces?
Each piece has its own characteristic charm, & is truly a one-of-a-kind piece.
No two are exactly the same.
The feeling of excitement when you find a beautiful piece of treasure in nature pulls me out of my shell to go hunt for more. Also more fun with my partner-in-crime :)